July 26, 2015

Building Your System

Lets start with Media Sources.

Typically your options in the Analog domain will be Vinyl LP's for playback on Turn Tables, various tape formats like Reel to Reel (or as they like to say... "Reel to Real!"), Cassette, or even Beta and VHS Hifi tape players, and FM  radio via Tuner.

Technics SL-5 linear tracking turntable

LP's are fairly common and can sound amazing so starting here is a sure bet. You will also have the pleasure of full size album covers and inserts which can be quite visually satisfying.  A lost art.  A sound room with album art on display can reveal the real you, and look good doing it.  Now that I am older I really appreciate larger pictures and print found on LP's packaging.

Typical playback options in the Digital domain include Compact Discs "CD's", mini CD's, and Laser Discs the size of a LP.  Digital Audio Tape "D.A.T." was popular with studio musicians but not much out there for the hobbyist.   And of course there are the downloads in the form of mp3 files,  etc.  They can be on thumb-drives, writable CD's, or hard-drives, etc.

Lovely sounding Nakamichi OMS-7 CD player is built like a M1 Abrams tank

Just so you know, my playback preferences are for CD's and LP's, in that order.
I have settled the debate internally between LP's and CD's by using both.  I have substantial collections in both formats but find myself listening primarily to CD's simply because of the convenience they offer.  For example typical CD players produce great sound with a minimum of fuss and setup and often have remote control-ability.  In my experience Vinyl has a better sound quality, more pleasing to my ear but the time and effort that goes into getting that extra quality in sound most often results in resorting to the CD format for my listening pleasure.   When I am in the mood for an genteel evening of uninterrupted musical pleasure, quality vinyl equipment makes a very satisfying way to spend it.  Or if I am wanting to explore the parameters of my equipment's qualities and change things around a bit I will typically use CD's.  The same when I am not quite sure what I am in the mood for, CD's are a quick way to find out.

We will explore more equipment options for playback in a moment.   First I would like to throw in a comment you might find interesting.

Pleasurable audio is a combination of quality sound and equipment.   Additional pleasure can be found in Nostalgia by producing the best sound from equipment you had way back when...   Or by acquiring the equipment you wanted way back when but couldn't have and hold until now.  Visual and Tactile satisfaction can be very important too when experiencing great sound!


No comments:

Post a Comment