August 01, 2015

Integrated Amplifiers and Receivers

    Nakamichi RE-2 receiver with Receiver2 remote control

Integrated Amplifiers with the addition of a Tuner or not seems to offer an favorable alternative to a Receiver.

Back in the 80's when I was stretching my economic might and assembling my first "audiophile" system I turned to the Yamaha A960 MkII integrated amplifier to power my JBL 4312's.

Yamaha A960 II

       JBL 4313

The Yamaha A960 II was a versatile and attractive unit (especially when ambient light was dimmed and the A960 II's lights glowed brightly) with ample output making a quality sounding match with the awesome JBL 4312's.  This system served me well during my college years.   I still have the Yamaha integrated amp. but sold the speakers during a phase when I developed considerable interest in ESS speakers, I got a pair of ESS 6D's with change to spare.


ESS 6D front sans grills.  Notice the cool cut wood border.


ESS 6D back with passive Sub-Woofer.

I loved the ESS 6D's to the point of getting two pair from Leo's Stereo in S. Cal., but the JBL's did sound better after all.

Enough about me, back to integrated amplifiers and later on to receivers.   Back in the 80's and the 70's it seems that manufacturers put a little extra "value" in the form of bells, whistles and a lot of watts (at least on paper) into Integ. Amps. Separates such as a amp and pre-amp offered better sound quality than a integrated amp but the expense of separates delayed my experience with them a few more years. Integrated amps seemed to be an more affordable avenue for a wannabe audiophile.

Back in the 80's when I got my Yamaha A960 II Int. Amp. I paid $400 and would have had to pay 3-4 times that much for decent separates.  The current output for the unit did not seem adequate for the Acoustat's I eventually upgraded to so I had to get some separates anyway.  There are numerous Integrated Amps from the manufacturers over the years that make good bargain units which can be found on auction sites or local classified online advertisements.    Or for the same 400 bucks I spent way back then for a Integ. Amp you can now get some Vintage Amplifiers and Pre-Amp combos that are amazing.

Will talk about receivers in the next posting since I now think they deserve more than a couple lines...

No comments:

Post a Comment